Remember when I made this Chocolate Beet Cake?
Well, let’s consider that a HEALTHY version, because today I have the HAPPY version…
A Doctored Up Red Velvet Cake Mix w/ Chocolate Buttercream Frosting!
It’s perfect for Valentines Day, or really any day you need to whip up a cake! Which, is like…once a week at least right? This is my GO-TO doctored up cake recipe, I’ve been using it for years. To see the original recipe, GO HERE.
- (For the cake)
- 1 box red velvet cake mix
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 - 3.9 ounce box chocolate pudding
- 1 c. vegetable oil
- ½ c. milk
- 1 TB. vanilla
- 4 eggs
- 1 c. dark chocolate chips
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 TB. vanilla extract
- 4 c. powdered sugar
- ½ c. cocoa powder
- 2-4 TB. milk or heavy whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, add all of your cake ingredients, except the chocolate chips.
- Using a hand held beater, mix all of the ingredients together. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray your cake pan of choice and add your batter.
- Bake for 30-55 minutes. (Depending on the size of the cake pan that you use, the cooking time will vary. So adjust the cooking time accordingly.)
- You know the cake is done when you press the middle light with your finger and it bounces back :).
- Once it's done cooking, remove from the oven and let cool completely before removing from the pan.
- To make the frosting, add the butter to a kitchen aid mixer. Beat the butter until fluffy. Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla, cocoa powder, and 2 TB. of the milk. Beat until fluffy. Add more milk to thin frosting as needed.
- Once the cake has cooled, frost the cake as desired :). Store in the fridge until ready to eat, and then let it sit to bring to room temperature.
Sorry for the cake overload, but it was just too pretty not to photograph! What is your go-to dessert recipe for special occasions. I think I’ve always been a cake/cupcake person because I can whip frosting up in my sleep! I can also eat it without hesitation.