There are some people in life that don’t love change…
Every Holiday that requires a family gathering means that my grandma will require it of herself to make the same exact thing. Yams with marshmallows. Green Cool Whip with marshmallows. Marshmallow salad and…funeral potatoes topped with potato chips.
Along comes her rebellious granddaughter who just so happens to offer to take on the responsibility of one of the side dishes and BAM!
All of the sudden that translates to, “Well I guess you just don’t like my cooking, maybe we should just hold Thanksgiving somewhere else…”
Luckily for my grandma marshmallows are my favorite food and I really don’t want to miss out on a Christmas present from her this Christmas…AND because I LOVE her!!
Unfortunately that won’t stop me from bringing a little something different to the table…
It may not be your grandparents favorite dish, but I can assure that no one will complain of a little pre-holiday snack before the real dinner begins!
(And no. I’m not talking about the plate of black and green olives my grandma puts out to prepare your palate for turkey…)
- 3 c. cranberries
- 4 avocados
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 jalapeno (stem removed, and seeds if wanting a mild flavor)
- ½ small red onion
- juice of 1-2 small limes
- 2 TB. honey
- salt & pepper, cumin
- In a food processor, pulse the cranberries a few times until roughly chopped.
- Remove cranberries and place in a large bowl.
- In the same food processor add the cilantro, halved jalepeno, and red onion that has been cut into chunks.
- Pulse for a few times until roughly chopped.
- Add to the cranberries.
- Then add in the diced avocado chunks.
- In a small bowl whisk together lime juice and honey until combined. Pour over salsa, and liberally add salt and pepper on top.
- Fold ingredients together, and serve with chips!
I have a strange love and obsession with my grandmothers marshmallow dishes and potato chip funeral potatoes. I dream about them nightly.