I’m going to be like everybody and their mom and say, ” I can’t believe Thanksgiving is next week!”
I clearly haven’t been focusing on this up and coming holiday, but I have been looking forward to one that’s a month away…
Too soon? You might think so, but every morning Baby Boo wakes up and runs to the tree to look at the lights. I just couldn’t say no! 🙂
The holidays are going to be different AND special this time around, since my family has gone through some changes over the past year.
The hubby and I both lost grandparents this year, so I think it’s going to be a little bit sad come holiday celebrations. Also, my brother is moving to BRAZIL for two years for a church mission. He won’t be able to make phone calls, just emails once a week. He leaves the day after Christmas, so it’s going to be really tough to say goodbye.
Needless to say, I really want to cherish this holiday season, and focus on their true meanings, enjoy it with the ones I love…
Oh and eat some really darn good food!
Everybody loves a good get together with delicious eats.
Especially when you start with appetizers, then a main coarse, then a little more appetizers, then dessert.
By then you need to be rolled to your car, or the nearest couch for a good long hybernation.
My favorite part has always been the appetizers. (I know you were thinking I was gonna say dessert…I’m unpredictable at times my friends…)
I love the olive tray my grandma sets out, in which I politely pour the whole tray on my mini appetizer plate.
I have a weak spot for deviled eggs..I will gladly pop those suckers in my mouth, in between a mouth full of olives.
And then there is the dip…
Everyone’s favorite is usually the classic bread bowl with a helping of artichoke dip inside.
Don’t get me wrong. This was a favorite dish of mine at one point in my life. Back then, nothing could keep me from a bread bowl full of dip…
But then I moved on to bigger…To better…To wholesome…
To gosh darn freakin’ delicious.
And trust me…Nothing..No one…can keep me away from this.
Lemon Tahini Roasted Garlic Brussel Sprout Dip
Ingredients: (For roasted Brussel Sprouts)
4 c. washed and halved brussel sprouts
4 large garlic cloves diced
1/2 onion diced
1 TB. balsamic vinegar
1-2 TB. olive oil
sprinkle of salt and pepper
Ingredients: (for sauce/bean mixture)
1 can drained and rinsed navy beans
Juice and zest of 1 lemon (I used 2 and it was strong, but I didn’t mind)
3 TB. dijon
1/4 c. + 1 TB. tahini
1/2 c. water (If it seems to thick, add a little more. )
sprinkle of salt and pepper
Ingredients: (for topping)
1 piece whole wheat bread
1 TB. organic butter or non diary butter
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a baking sheet spread brussel sprouts, garlic, and onion. Drizzle with balsamic, oil, and salt& pepper. Toss to coat. Put in oven and roast for about 35-45 minutes, or until roasted and crispy with dark edges.
2. Meanwhile, make the bread crumbs by processing the bread and butter. Set aside in a dish. Next, make the sauce/bean mixture. In the food processor add all ingredients and puree until creamy. Pour sauce into medium sized bowl and set aside.
3. When roasted veggies are done, transfer to food processor and pulse a few times until finely chopped. Pour on top of bean mixture and fold together until all ingredients are combined. Transfer to a (greased baking) dish and sprinkle with bread crumbs.
*You can leave the dip as it at this step. It will be more creamy and dip like, but if you want to bake it to warm it up go ahead and do so. It thickens a little in the oven, so we used it as a spread onto things.
4. Reduce oven temp to 350. Bake dip for 20 minutes.
5. Once done, serve with bread, crackers, spoons, or even your finger… 🙂
I mean seriously?!
I just pulled this out of the oven like an hour ago and it’s almost gone…
Luckily for Baby Boo and I, the hubby is on a bike ride…so we don’t have to share.
Except he is probably going to be starving when he get’s home. Maybe I should make another one? I’ll go ahead and say yes..
Cuz’ I’m pretty sure that is what your thinking.
I just had to…
Have a great weekend everybody!!