Did you know that summer is coming?
Long nights, BBQ’s, swimming, tanning, playing out side, fireworks, fresh fruit, and tons of ice cream!
All that sounds great, but when your almost 8 months pregnant, and anything above the degree of 65 gives you the ‘I’m going to pass out’ feeling, than summer sounds like a season of the Devil. Not to mention any material of clothing touching your stretched out itchy skin makes you feel like you muumuu’s should really be considered more fashionable.
Which is why it’s almost a necessity that all I want for my birthday is a crushed ice machine. Not just the regular ol’ one that comes attached to the refrigerator, because we don’t have one of those either. I’m talking about those round little ice chips that they give you in the hospital when you can’t eat nothing else….Sweet home Alabama those are my favorite things in the whole wide world!
[Ya hear that hubs? Since you say you read the blog, I’m assuming I’m not going to tell you what I want for my birthday when you ask me right? 🙂 ]
Crushed ice and a bowl of fresh fruit ice cream is exactly the kind of summer I’m dreaming of…Along with a nice long foot massage by somebody that goes by the name of Matthew last name McConaughey hey hey!
Roasted Peaches and Cream Ice Cream
Ingredients: (for roasted peaches)
3-4 lbs. fresh, ripe peaches-halved and pitted (peeling skin is optional)
2 TB. melted coconut oil
2 TB. maple syrup or honey
1 tsp. vanilla
Ingredients: (for ice cream)
3 c. roasted peaches puree (Directions to follow)
2 cans full fat coconut milk
3/4 c. honey or maple syrup
1 TB. vanilla
1. Set oven to 400 degrees. In a med/large bowl add chopped peaches, oil, syrup, and vanilla. Toss to coat.
2. Spread on baking sheet coated with parchment paper, and bake in oven for 30 minutes. Make sure to use a rimmed baking sheet, because the mixture will cook and become pretty liquidy.
Note: Smells amazing 🙂
3. Once peaches are done, set aside and let cool completely. Then throw peaches and liquid (dump everything from pan) into a blender. Blend a few seconds until it’s a thick and chunky puree. (If you left the skins on, here is where you want to make sure the skins are pureed)
4. Pour puree into a separate bowl, except leave about 3 c. worth of puree in the blender. Add coconut milk, honey, and vanilla and blend until combined.
Note: You will have about 1 c. left over of peach puree (if you decide to use some for caramel sauce, recipe following, It’s perfect to save for adding onto yogurts, smoothies, or making milkshakes out of them!)
5. Pour ingredients into an ice cream make, and follow instructions as to the requirements of that particular machine.
*If you don’t have an ice cream maker, I’ve hear you simply pour ingredients into a shallow glass bowl and set in the freezer. Than pull it out every 30 minutes and beat it with a whisk or hand held blender for a few seconds, then return it to the freezer. Do this every 30 or so minutes until it’s reached the desired consistency.
But ice cream must never be left naked…
(Roasted Peaches) Caramel Sauce
1 c. of coconut milk from a can
1 c. maple syrup or honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. roasted peach puree
1 TB. cornstarch mixed with 2 TB. cold water
1. Add all ingredients, expect cornstarch mixture, in a pot over the stove. Whisk ingredients together, heat, and bring to a boil. Add in cornstarch mixture, whisk, and reduce to simmer. Let simmer for about 15 minutes, whisking often.
Note: You can leave out peach puree for regular caramel sauce!
Ok fine…As long as I have a bowl of this everyday, I might be able to handle summer.
And if McConaughey feeds it to me…Then it’s a deal! 🙂