(To see the ‘Happy’ version of this recipe, click HERE)
This was no easy task my friends. I had many attempts at trying to make a popcorn coated in vibrant purple chocolate healthier, and many failed.
There were many popcorn ideas that could have worked, and that I could have very well eaten…But when I put it to the test against my family, a lot of times they just said…No. Actually more like no way, gross, disgusting, is that coconut oil??
I still wanted it to be coated in white chocolate, because after all, that’s what the Happy version of the recipe was. (Actually, I don’t think that candy coating is real chocolate…)But I knew that I had to makeover that purple color, use REAL ingredients, and still leave it tasting delicious…if not better!
I could have easily added purple food coloring to the white chocolate, but I wanted to take it one step further and NATURALLY color the popcorn. The secret to the popcorn color was freeze dried blueberries. I blended them up into a fine powder and mixed it with the chocolate, which naturally tinted it!
The best part was that my kids and husband ate it without any complaints!
Don’t worry, they had a few things to say about the dinner I made later that night…Glad they are back to their normal selves…
- 9 cups popped popcorn
- 1 c. good quality white chocolate
- ¼ c. freeze dried blueberries
- 1 tsp. coconut oil
- eye sprinkles
- bug sprinkles
- Add your popcorn in a large bowl.
- Melt the white chocolate in the microwave, 30 second increments.
- While the white chocolate is melting, add the blueberries to a blender.
- Blend until fine crumbs,
- Add the blueberry dust to the white chocolate and mix together. Add the coconut oil to the chocolate and melt in the microwave for an additional 10 seconds.
- Pour the chocolate over the popcorn, and fold until its completely coated.
- Pour popcorn on prepared baking sheet. Add sprinkles, pressing them into the top of the popcorn so they stick to the chocolate.
- Put in the fridge for about 10 minutes to set.
- Store in sealed bags.
(Someone is totally ready for pumpkin and Halloween season, don’t you think?)
SO! What do you guys think, how did I do?!
Are there any recipes you would like to see a Happy version and Healthy version of! Let me know in the comments!
If you are looking for freeze dried blueberries, there is a link below: (affiliate link)