I cannot believe the 4th of July is tomorrow! It feels like I just took my Christmas tree down, when in reality, it’s almost time to put it back up again!
I really wanted to make a fun dessert for tomorrow, but wanted to keep it pretty healthy and light. I’m sure many of you have seen those watermelons cut into the form of a cake and then frosted with whipped cream right?
So let’s pretend that watermelon cake had a baby with a patriotic flag sheet cake, and well..
This is what I came up with! 🙂
First thing, cut your watermelon. I cut mine into rectangular strips so they would be easy to assemble in the baking dish.
First you add a layer of watermelon, and then frost it with a layer of whipped cream. You can make this vegan by using Coconut Whipped Cream if you would like.
Then add more watermelon…
And then a nice generous spread of more whipped cream.
Then using blueberries and raspberries, assemble the good ol’ American Flag!
- (This recipe makes an 8x8 or 9x9 size sheet cake)
- ½ watermelon, cut into strips
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 8TB. powdered sugar
- 1 TB. vanilla
- Blueberries, raspberries
- Make the whip cream by beating the whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla until peaks form. Set aside.
- Assemble the cake by first adding a single layer of watermelon over the entire bottom of the pan.
- Frost the watermelon layer.
- Then add another layer of watermelon.
- Then top it off with another layer of whipped cream. Be sure to cover the entire watermelon so it doesn't show through.
- Make an American Flag with the berries.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to serve!
Happy Fourth of July friends!!