Every saturday when my husband has the day off we always watch the food network in the morning together.
Our favorite show to watch together is The Pioneer Woman.
If you know anything about The Pioneer Woman, she’s a food blogger too, so right away I was drawn in. She has a quirky sense of humor and her food…although not healthy lol…looks mighty tasty.
Every time we watch it together my husband sits there with his mouth wide open in awe at the delicious food she makes…
And every time he say’s the same thing, ” Now why can’t you make that?!?”
In which I reply, “Shut up and drink your greens!”
Every once in a while, because I love him, I give in and make him something that he’s been begging for. One of those dishes just happened to be baked french toast.
I’ve talked about this on the blog before, and my husbands obsession with french toast, but when he saw Ree Drumond pour that buttery sugar egg mixture over that white sourdough bread he well…
Let’s just say he got really excited. Ever since then, that’s all he can talk about, so I decided to show that boy I love him and make him the meal he’s been requesting for ages…
Of coarse I practically changed the whole recipe and added a vegetable…
It’s the thought that counts right…?
Baked Pumpkin French Toast
1 loaf crusty whole wheat bread
coconut oil for brushing pan
3/4 c. pumpkin puree
1 1/2 c. coconut milk
2 TB. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 tsp. garam masala
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
dash of ginger
3/4 c. coconut sugar
1/2 c. coconut oil
1/3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 c. coconut sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
dash of salt
1. Begin with your loaf bread. You want a sturdy crusty loaf bread so it won’t get soggy.
2. Rip pieces of bread up and pour into greased 9X13 pan.
3. Take the rest of the ingredients for the filling and whisk together until everything is incorporated.
4. Pour filling over bread pieces and distribute filling evenly.
5. Make your topping by mixing everything together. Your oil can be hard or liquid. If it’s hard just use a fork or pastry cutter to incorporate all ingredients. If it’s liquid stir it together until combined. Drop topping through out top of french toast. Cover and place in fridge for a few hours of over night…You can also put it in the oven right away if needed.
(This is a great make ahead dish!)
6. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350. Bake for 45 min. for a bread pudding consistency, or an hour + for a harder crust. (We prefer an hour.)
7. Top with maple syrup…take a bite…
Welcome to heaven!
At first I didn’t tell my husband I changed the recipe. I waited till he ate THREE servings of it!
It’s safe to assume it was a hit!
Here’s to making our husbands healthy!
I mean, happy! 🙂
If your bored, we filmed a family fun video of the a Surprise Date Night that the husband took me on!
Have a great rest of your week!!